Thursday, October 23, 2008

RateWatch Moves to BabyWatch

Today is the due date.

No kid yet, but Jeanette has gotten serious.  I've lost the pool now, but it would be nice to have the kid, as I am under the usual injunction (largely self-imposed) not to go anyplace I can't get back from in less than twenty minutes.  We don't anticipate that this labor will take much time.  The body knows the score, so to speak, and although Jeanette is not as young as she once was and doesn't have the physical strength she did, she is also wiser and tougher than ever, so she's not going to call for help until the baby is right on top of us.  Usually we have the baby about the point that the unborn child's arrival starts to seriously impinge on everything else.  I'm cancelling appointments, so that's the stage we're in.

And I got an email from a friend asking if I wanted to meet two 11-year-old Ukrainian kids in case we wanted to adopt them.  I told him I didn't, knowing that once I did meet them, I'd be in real trouble.  We've talked about adopting several times, but never got very close to actually doing it, mostly because we're still bringing new children into the house by ourselves, and a lot cheaper.  Still, the fact remains that we have more to give.  We have warmth and shelter and love enough for more than we have, even counting this one we don't have just yet.  Though it's frequently close, we always seem to have enough money for them all, too.  Should we not be willing, even eager, to sacrifice as much as necessary of this world's goods to care for those that have so little of them?

More later, as events warrant.  Bonds are essentially flat.  Rates have dropped again, to 6.25-6.375% on conventional, 6% on FHA.